Marci Rich, President
KeyWord Communications, LLC
- Writing for traditional and social media platforms: feature articles, biographical profiles, press releases, web content and blogs (Huffington Post, Katie.com, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Oberlin Conservatory of Music and Oberlin College);, creative copy for radio and print advertising, invited member of the Verizon Voices program.
- Media relations: successful placement of stories in top print and broadcast media outlets, among them NPR, CBS Sunday Morning, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal.
- Public relations: management of such high-profile projects as the National Medal of Arts award to the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, the Cooper International Piano Competition, and two major building projects.
- Editing: Editor-in-chief of annual magazine and web site, contributor to an in-house style guide and familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Exceptional research, interviewing, reporting, proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Strategic communications skills include media relations, arts marketing, blogging and social media campaigns. Experience includes 20 years working in communications for one of the premier liberal arts colleges and music conservatories in the United States.
- Commitment to accuracy, ethics, publishing integrity and journalistic excellence.
KeyWord Communications, LLC, 2010-present
Founder and President
- Clients include the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, the Cleveland Institute of Music, Ross Clayton Productions, authors Gigi Amateau and Tom de Paolo, the Genius Group, RealTime Opera, the Medici Charitable Foundation, and the City of Oberlin
- Freelance writer for the Richmond Times-Dispatch; contributor to the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram
- Contributor to the Huffington Post, Katie.com, BlogHer, Boomeon, and others; award-winning blogger and founder of The Midlife Second Wife.com
Oberlin Conservatory of Music, Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH 2000-September 30, 2010
Director of Communications, 2002-September 30, 2010
Media Relations Associate, 2001-2002
Acting Director of Public Relations, 2000-2001
- As Director of Communications, was responsible for operations of a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment of creative professionals at a world-renowned conservatory of music; wrote and edited content for web, press releases, radio and advertising copy, and, for an annual magazine with a readership of 50,000, was responsible for concept, content, photography, publication fulfillment and distribution; served as editorial director of the recording label Oberlin Music; as chief public relations officer, was responsible for devising and implementing marketing and PR plans and strategies; developed an arts guide in 2006.
- As Media Relations Associate, handled media relations at all levels—local, regional, national and international. Wrote copy for brochures, worked creatively to devise print advertising campaign.
- As Acting Director of Public Relations, assumed responsibility for a fast-paced office on short notice when prior director resigned; assumed editorship and supervised redesign of magazine; conceptualized new print ads; wrote and edited articles for web site.
Oberlin College, Office of Communications, Oberlin, OH 1992-2000
Media Relations Associate, 1999-2000
Staff Writer, 1993-1999
- As Media Relations Associate, led publicity efforts and achieved an international profile for the Lewis Center for Environmental Studies, the first green building on a college campus.
- As Staff Writer, wrote biographical profiles, articles and press releases, including a story proposal that resulted in a segment on CBS Sunday Morning.
“An Artist Before Radiation … and After,” The Huffington Post (August 14, 2013)
“Of Robert Redford, London, and the Power of Travel,” The Huffington Post (July 18, 2013)
“Sally Field Talks About Becoming Mrs. Lincoln,” The Richmond Times-Dispatch (November 11, 2012)
“Sissy Spacek’s Wonderful Life,” The Richmond Times-Dispatch (May 6, 2012)
“A Match Made in Cyber Heaven,” The Richmond Times-Dispatch, (September 4, 2011)
“The Roof That Jazz is Raising,” Oberlin Conservatory, 2007
“The Secret World of Charles Simic,” FIELD: Contemporary Poetry and Poetics (No. 44, Spring 1991); reprinted in Contemporary Literary Criticism, ed. Jeffrey W. Hunter and Timothy J. White (Thomson Gale, 1999)
- Honored by the Huffington Post in 2012 as one of the top seven blogs for the over-50 set
- Winner of BlogHer’s Voice of the Year Award in 2012
Fine Arts Work Center, Provincetown, MA, 2014
- “Transforming Chaos into Art: Fiction and Memoir Workshop” with author Dani Shapiro
Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH, Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Creative Writing, 1991
- Graduated with highest honors
- Phi Beta Kappa, Zeta of Ohio, Oberlin Chapter
- Margaret Goodwin Meacham Prize in English
- Academy of American Poets Award
References Available Upon Request